National Gallery of Modern Art, Bengaluru
The National Gallery of Modern Art, Bengaluru set up in the premises of the Manikyavelu Mansion at 49 Palace Road, Bangalore was opened to the publicon 18th February, 2009. Spread over an area of 3.5 acres, the gracious heritage building was transformed from a residence into an Art Gallery, with a display space of 1551 square meters to which a new gallery block with a display space of 1260 sq. m. was added. The architecture of the additional block was designed in such a fashion that it merges with the style and ambience of the heritage Manikeyavelu Mansion while at the same time fulfilling the requirements of a modern museum. The Gallery stands as a repository of the cultural ethos of the country and showcases Indian art starting from the early 18th century till the present times.
The collection of NGMA mainly comprises of paintings, sculptures, graphic prints and examples of early photography in India which showcased the historical development of modern art in India. The display includes Indian miniatures, colonial artists, Bengal School and post-independence artists which led to the birth of modern and post-modern art of today. In addition to permanent display of the paintings and sculptures, this NGMA also showcases national and international exhibitions regularly.
For more information please visit http://www.ngmaindia.gov.in
National Gallery of Modern Art, Mumbai
The National Gallery of Modern Art, Mumbai (NGMA), is a subordinate office of the Ministry of Culture, Government of India. NGMA Mumbai, a Grade one Heritage building, was inaugurated by Shri S. R. Bommai, the then HRD Minister, Government of India, on 23rd December 1996. It is situated at the famous Cowasji Jehangir Public Hall (C. J. Public Hall), M. G. Road, Fort Mumbai.
The Government of Maharashtra, in the year 1984, gave this building on lease for 30 years to the Ministry of Culture, Government of India for establishing the NGMA.
For more information please visit http://www.ngmaindia.gov.in
National Gallery of Modern Art, New Delhi
The National Gallery of Modern Art (NGMA), founded in 1954, is the only institution of its kind in the country representing evolution and pictorial transformation in visual arts over the last more than 150 years. NGMA functions as a subordinate office under the superintendence and administrative control of the Ministry of Culture.
The main objectives of the NGMA are to create an understanding and sensibility among the Indian public towards the visual and plastic arts in general and to promote the development of contemporary Indian art in particular. In 2009, NGMA inaugurated the opening of its New Extension Wing at New Delhi which increased its display spaces by more than 6 times.
For more information please visit http://www.ngmaindia.gov.in
Salar Jung Museum, Hyderabad
The Salar Jung Museum of Hyderabad is a repository of the artistic achievements of diverse European, Asian and Far Eastern countries of the world. The major portion of this collection was acquired by Nawab Mir Yousuf Ali Khan popularly known as Salar Jung III. The zeal for acquiring art objects continued as a family tradition for three generations of Salar Jungs. In 1914, Salar Jung III, after having relinquished the post of Prime Minister to H.E.H., the Nizam VII, Nawab Mir Osman Ali Khan, devoted rest of his entire life in collecting and enriching the treasures of art and literature till he lived. The precious and rare art objects collected by him for a period of over forty years, find place in the portals of the Salar Jung Museum, as rare to very rare pieces of art.
After the demise of Salar Jung-III, the vast collection of precious art objects and his Library which were housed in "Dewan-Deodi" the ancestral palace of the Salar Jungs, the desirability of organizing a Museum out of the Nawab's collection dawned quite soon and Sri M.K. Velodi, the then Chief Civil Administrator of the Hyderabad State approached Dr.James Cousins a well known art critic, to organize the various objects of art and curios which were lying scattered in different palaces of Salar Jung III to form a Museum.
With a view to perpetuate the name of Salar Jung as a world renowned art connoisseur, the Salar Jung Museum was brought in to existence and was opened to the public by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the then Prime Minister of India on 16th December, 1951.
However, the administration of the Museum continued to be vested in the Salar Jung Estate Committee till 1958. Thereafter, the heirs of Salar Jung Bahadur graciously agreed to donate the entire collection to the Government of India through a Compromise Deed based on a High Court Decree on 26th December l958. The Museum continued to be administered directly by the Government of India till 1961. Through an Act of Parliament (Act of 26 of 1961) the Salar Jung Museum with its Library was declared to be an Institution of National Importance. The administration was entrusted to an Autonomous Board of Trustees with the Governor of Andhra Pradesh as its Ex-officio Chairman and ten other members representing the Government of India, the State of Andhra Pradesh, Osmania University and one from the family of Salar Jungs.
The Museum has a magnificent global collection of art objects and antiques not only of Indian origin, but mostly from countries Western, a sizable collection hails from Middle Eastern and Far Eastern origins. In 2000 AD, under museum expansion programme two more buildings were added on either side of existing central building.
Basing on the nature of collections, the Western /European collections were displayed in the Western Block and Eastern collections in the Eastern block. Mixed collection including Children's section, Rebecca, Musical clock, Jade, Ivory etc., galleries were located in the central building. A rich reference library which contains reference books, large collection of rare manuscripts etc. is also located the in the central building. Thus, this Museum has become popular, not only as a place of interest but also as an institution for education.
For more information please visit http://www.salarjungmuseum.in
Victoria Memorial Hall, Kolkata
The Victoria Memorial Hall (VMH) was founded on the initiative of Lord Curzon as a period museum in memory of Queen Victoria with particular emphasis on Indo-British history. Built on a 57-acre land and called the ‘Taj of the Raj’ because of its recognition as the finest specimen of Indo-British architecture in India, the VMH was formally opened to the public in 1921, and declared an institution of National importance by the Government of India Act of 1935. Currently, the VMH is by far the most-visited museum in India, with nearly 20 lakh people visiting its galleries and more than 13 lakh people touring the gardens separately in 2013-14.
The VMH collection has 28,394 artefacts displayed in nine galleries that encapsulate the history of our nation extending over three centuries beginning from 1650 A.D.
For more information please visit http://www.victoriamemorial-cal.org
National Council of Science Museums (NCSM)
National Council of Science Museums (NCSM), an autonomous organization under the Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India was registered as a society on April 4, 1978. Presently NCSM administers and manages 25 science museums/centres spread across the country and it is the world’s largest network of science centres and museums that functions under a single administrative umbrella. For last 35 years the Council has developed a nationwide infrastructure of 48 science museums ¢res. The NCSM is managed by a Society whose President is the Hon’ble Minister of Culture. There is also a Governing Body comprising of Ex Officio Members and Experts. The Chairman of the present Governing Body is Prof. R.C.Sobti.
The Council has been engaged in creating awareness on Science & Technology, developing scientific temper in society and promoting science literacy throughout the length and breadth of the country. Its outreach activities throughout the year aspire to develop a culture of science and innovation by engaging people from all segments of the society in the process of science & technology.
For more information please visit http://www.ncsm.gov.in/
Allahabad Museum, Allahabad
The Allahabad Museum is centrally located in the Civil Lines area of the city in a lush green thickly forested historic park called Chandrasekhar Azad Park. It is about 3 kms from the Allahabad Railway Station with almost equidistant from Prayag and Rambagh Railway Stations and about 12 km from Bamrauli Airport.
In 1863, the Board of Revenue requested the Government of North-Western Provinces for the establishment of a public library and a museum. With donations from the provincial government, the famous Orientalist Sir William Muir and the Maharaja of Vijaynagaram, a superintendent of library and museum was appointed and an ornate building was inaugurated in 1878 to house the collection. For unforeseen reasons the museum closed down in 1881. The initiative to reopen the museum was taken by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the President of the Allahabad Municipal Board in 1923-24. Under the operational direction of Pandit Brij Mohan Vyas, the then Executive Officer of the board, a museum was opened in the Municipal Building in 1931. Under the tutelage of pandit Vyas, the musum acquired important collections, including ancient sculpture from Bharhut ( Satna district of MP) and Bhumra (MP). In 1942, S.C. Kala the first curator gave the much needed impetus to enriching the collections of the museum, especially adding the Nehru personalia Collection and the Bengal School Paintings. As space became a constraint, it was decided that the museum should be shifted from the Municipal Board building to the present building at the Company bagh or Chandrasekhar Azad park. The foundation stone of the present museum building which was then called as Prayag Sangrahalaya was laid on 14th December 1947 by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru and the museum was opened to the public in 1954.
There are sixteen galleries in Allahabad Museum. It houses a variety of collections those include Stone Sculptures, Terracottas, Miniature Paintings, Modern Painting, Archaeological objects, Coins, Arms and Armour, Textile, Manuscript, Farmans etc.
The sculptural art collection comprising of an abacus of an Ashokan pillar (3rd century BCE), 58 fragments of sculpture from the Bharhut stupa (2nd century BCE) including scenes from the Jataka stories, pillars, crossbars and coping stones are displayed in the Early Sculpture Gallery. The Medieval sculpture section is still more nice and varied, displaying the Vaisnava, Satka, Saiva and Jaina images. It has also a rich collection of Miniature Paintings and Modern Art. The Miniature Paintings belongs to the of Rajasthani, Pahari, Mughal and Company schools of paintings. Paintings of Anagarika Govinda and those of the Russian artists Nicholas and Svetoslav Roerich occupy a pride of place in the Modern Art Gallery. The Bengal School collection comprises the works of Asit Kumar Haldar, Abanindranath Tagore, Gaganendranath Tagore, Nandalal Bose, Jamini Roy and Sudhir Ranjan Khastgir are the exquisite collection of Allahabad Museum. The Museum has an important personalia collection of manuscripts and letters of literary luminaries like Sumitranandan Pant, Mahadevi Verma, Suryakant Tripathi ‘Nirala’, Maithili Saran Gupta, Ram Kumar Verma and others. The Arms and Armour Collection of the Allahabad Museum has unique pistols, rifles, guns, swords and body armour from the 18th century to 19th century CE. The textiles and decorative arts collection includes fine gold Zari work and exquisite wooden artifacts.
Galleries of Allahabad Museum:
- Introductory Gallery
- Archaeological Gallery/Rock Art Gallery
- Terracotta Gallery
- Early Sculpture Gallery
- Medieval Sculpture Gallery
- Miniature Painting Gallery
- Literary Gallery
- Natural History Gallery
- Gandhi Gallery
- Nehru Gallery
- Decorative Art Gallery
- Arms, Armours and Bronze Gallery
- Textile Gallery
- Modern Indian Painting Gallery
- Freedom Struggle Gallery
Museum has published number of Books, Catalogues, and Seminar proceedings in order to encourage research. It has also printed picture postcards, guide books and prints for the visitors to take them as souvenirs from the museum.
Facilities for Visitors:
- Guided gallery tours on prior intimation.
- Museum organise many activities and events such as Lectures, Seminars, Exhibition, other Educational Activities & events.
- Souvenirs Counter: Publications, Plaster cast & Fiberglass replicas of stone and terracotta objects and other Souvenirs are sold at here.
- Library for researchers and students.
- Open on all days except Monday and Sunday following second Saturday & Government of India Gazetted Holidays.
- Timings: 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. Entry fees Rs. 15/- for adult and Rs. 5/- per child.
- Ticket Counter Closes at 4.30 pm.
- Photography is allowed on payment.
- Conducting the Capacity Buidling programme for museums curators
- Conducting workshops on conservation and preservation
- Organisaing Memorial Lectures, National and Internatioaanl;a Seminars and Conferences
- Exploration and Research
- Augmentation of Artifacts and Art objects
- Outreach programmes for children,students and for communities
- Monsoon Festival, Vasanta Utsav and Sarad Utsav.
- Heritage Walk & Road Show
- Foundation Day
- Children Week
- International Museum day, Environment Day and other important days as post of its Calendar year of program of activities.
Website: theallahabadmuseum.com and allahabadmuseum.org
Telephone No.: 0532-2408237
For more information please visit theallahabadmuseum.com
National Research Laboratory for conservation of Cultural Property Lucknow
National Research Laboratory for Conservation of CulturalProperty, Lucknow is a subordinate of office to the Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India and was established in 1976. It was recognized as scientific institution by Department of Science and Technology in the year 1985. The aims and objectives of the laboratory are as under.
- To develop conservational capabilities through scientific research and training.
- To advance conservation practices through development and implementation of field projects.
- Dissemination of information through conferences, workshops and publishing research papers in scientific journals.
- Setting up of conservation laboratories.
- Collaboration with international professional organizations.
NRLC activities are carried out through scientific research, training andundertaking of field projects for conservation and preservation. Over the years this laboratory has published many research papers in the journals of national and international repute. With the sanction of deposit head for field projects in the year 2011, the laboratory has been receiving request for conservation work from different museum, archives, libraries and other institutions. Currently field projects of NRLC are progressing at Sir J.J. School of Arts, Mumbai, Central Museum Nagpur, SMM Theatre Craft Museum New Delhi, Sri Manjusha Museum Dharamasthala, Mysore Palace Board Mysore, State Museum and Zoos Thiruvananthpuram, Regional State Archives Ernakulum, Kerala and Governor House at Lucknow.
For more information please visit www.nrlc.gov.in
National Museum, New Delhi
National Museum is a Subordinate Office of the Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India. Set up in 1949, the Museum possesses more than 2 lakhs artifacts. The main objectives of the National Museum are as given under:
- To collect antiquities and art objects of Historical, Cultural and Artistic significance for the purpose of their protection and interpretation (research).
- To disseminate knowledge about the significance of the objects in respect of history, culture and artistic excellence and achievements.
- To serve as a cultural centre for enjoyment and interaction of the people in and around artistic and cultural activity.
- To serve as epitome of national identity.
For more information please visit www.nationalmuseumindia.gov.in
National Museum Institute of History of Art, Conservation& Museology New Delhi
The National Museum Institute (NMI), an autonomous organization fully funded by the Ministry of Culture was established as a Society in January 1989 and declared a Deemed to be University in April 1989. This is the only University in India, exclusively devoted to the subjects related to museums. It is presently functioning in the premises of the National Museum at Janpath, New Delhi. Hon’ble Minister for Culture is the Chairperson of the Society and also the Chancellor of the University. The Director General, National Museum is the ex-officio Vice-Chancellor of the Institute.The main objectives of the Institute are as follows:
- To provide courses of study, training and research in different fields of History of Art, Conservation and Museology.
- To provide and offer facilities for fundamental research in the above fields of study.
- To collaborate with other national institutions dealing with the cultural property in order to share the material, curatorial/technical expertise and facilities.
- To interact on a continuous basis at the national level to improve standards of teaching in the above fields.
In pursuance to the above objects, NMI offers M.A. and Ph. D courses in History of Art, Conservation and Museology; conducts three months certificate courses (short term courses) namely India: Art & Culture and Art Appreciation in English and Bhartiya Kalanidhi in Hindi; holds national and international seminars, workshops and symposia and arranges special lectures of eminent scholars on topics of relevance; and publishes its works. In the 10th Convocation of NMI held on 3rd June 2013, degrees to the successful MA/Ph.D students were conferred by the Hon’ble Minister of Culture.
For more information please visit nmi.gov.in/
Indian Museum, Kolkata
Established on 2nd February, 1814 at the cradle of the Asiatic Society, the earliest museum in the Asia Pacific region underwent multi-linear phases of fruitful existence. The concept of establishing a Museum for such composite objects was brainchild of Dr. Nathaniel Wallich, a Danish Botanist. The Indian Museum, earlier known as Asiatic Museum and subsequently as Imperial Museum, grew into the largest institution of its kind of the country as an epitome of human civilization. The architect being W. L. Granville and the present Victorian edifice was completed in 1875, and on 1st April 1878 the Museum was thrown open to the public.
The Museum aims at acquisition, preservation, study in all objects of national importance and dissemination of knowledge and recreation through them. The collection of highlights the oriental culture, history and natural sciences and contains some specimen of other countries also.
With countless objects of art and nature and of infinite variety showcased in a number of galleries spreading over almost eight thousand square meter area of its six sections viz. Art, Archaeology, Anthropology, Zoology, Geology and Botany with about one million holdings, Indian Museum with its multi-disciplinary activities, has been included as an important national institution in the constitution of the Republic of India.
The Archaeology Section includes collections dating back from 5th BC to 17th AD. Indian coins of early, mediaeval and modern times are also displayed. Art Section is divided into Paintings, Textiles and Decorative Arts of India. The Anthropology Section consists of human evolution and cultural anthropology galleries. The scientific sections administered by Zoological, Geological and Botanical Surveys of India, have a good number of galleries displaying fish, reptile, bird, mammals; fossils, rock and mineral; and medicinal plants, vegetable fibers, dyes and tans, gums and resins, timber, oil and oil seeds collections.
For more information please visit indianmuseumkolkata.org